Health services

All international students who come to Finland from outside the European Union must possess a valid health insurance when applying for a resident permit. International students staying in Finland for at least two years are entitled to communal health care.

Information on residence permit and insurance

Members of the student unions at the universities are entitled to inexpensive health care, mental health care and dental health care at the Finnish Student Health Service. This applies to students pursuing their Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. Doctoral students who have paid the student union fee are entitled to the same services, except for the dental care services.

Students at universities of applied sciences receive their health care and dental care services through communal services. Some of the biggest universities of applied sciences also offer the services of school nurses and doctors for a moderate fee.